Monday, May 29, 2006

Why I joined Opus Dei

It's important for people to understand that joining Opus Dei requires a divine vocation. I joined because God was -- and still is -- calling me to be a saint in the middle of the world. Humanly speaking, what appeals most to me about my vocation as a married (supernumerary) member is that nothing basically changes in my life (i.e., my family, work, friends, hobbies, etc.), yet everything becomes a part of my path to sanctity--everything. For me, this is to be a contemplative in the middle of the world. Amazing in practice. It may sound odd, but it has always appeared to me strange that Catholicism was basically restricted to Sunday Mass and a few limited "holy" practices here and there. What about the rest of my life? That is now the pressing question my vocation actually helps me answer--and lead others to embrace as well.