Sunday, February 19, 2006

John Allen's Book on Opus Dei

A good resource that explains the common misgivings on Opus Dei is John Allen's recent book. His assessment is extremely fair toward Opus Dei and based on extensive research through interviews with current and former members. In fact, he was surprised by the access given to him by representatives in Rome. Allen is not a member himself but spent countless hours talking with people about the common (mis)perceptions that people have toward Opus Dei. For the most part, it is very true to its title and is an objective assessment.
He interviewed me. We had a nice conversation, I told him what I thought, and was certain I wouldn't be included as he already had enough research at the time to publish his book and was nearly finished with the research. Much to my surprise, I was included several places in the book. Not quite elevated to the level of fame, however, just a bit character. Maybe since I was an ex-member (late 80's) and now a member again, he was intrigued by my story.